Studying in the USA

  • Population: 325,000,000
  • Currency: US Dollar (USD)
  • University Students: 20,000,000
  • International Students: 1,100,000 (5%)
  • English-taught Programs: 34,000

The USA is often referred to as the most popular study abroad destination worldwide, with over 1 Million students choosing it to pursue their higher education. There are 50 states and one federal district (The District of Columbia or D.C.) that make up the US or USA (United States of America), a country that spans six time zones.

International students interested in the studying in the USA, have a diverse variety of locations and institutions to choose from. According to The Institute of International Education’s Open Doors Report, the most popular states for international students in the US are California, New York and Texas. Other popular study destinations in the US include San Francisco, Boston, Los Angeles and Chicago.

In order to gain admission at a US University or College you may be required to pass an admissions test such as the SAT (for undergraduate studies) or GRE (for graduate studies).

Universities in the USA

There are over 7,000 institutions of higher education in the USA. As an international student, you have over 3,000 Universities and Colleges in the US to choose from. We recommend prospective students to research their options using the College Navigator, an official governmental search tool provided by the National Center for Education Statistics in the USA. Another database to research is the Council for Higher Education Accreditation, which lists accredited US Colleges and Universities. Some of the most notable institutions include:

  • Harvard University
  • New York University
  • Stanford University
  • University of Minnesota
  • The University of Chicago
  • Princeton University

The 8 most prestigious colleges in the US are known as the Ivy League, made up of:

  • Brown University (Rhode Island)
  • Columbia University (New York)
  • Cornell University (New York)
  • Dartmouth College (New Hampshire)
  • Harvard University (Massachusetts)
  • University of Pennsylvania (Pennsylvania)
  • Princeton University (New Jersey)
  • Yale University (Connecticut)

Business Schools in The USA

The USA is well known for its high caliber business schools, including:

  • Kellogg School of Management
  • Hult International Business School
  • Haas School of Business
  • MIT Sloan School of Management
  • Tepper School of Business
  • Columbia Business School
  • Carlson School of Management

Tuition Fees in The USA

Studying in the USA can cost anywhere between 5,000 EUR to 50,000 EUR per academic year. This will depend largely on the type of program and University you choose.

Scholarships to Study in The USA

Considering that the USA is one of the most expensive places to study, you will be pleased to know that there are options to alleviate this burden. There are sports scholarships, merit scholarships as well as needs-based financial aid.

Costs of Living in The USA

Costs of living in the USA vary depending on the state. These can range from 1,000 EUR to 3,000 EUR per month.

Internships & Company Placements in The USA

Internships and company placements in the USA are often categorized into two options: Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and Optional Practical Training (OPT).

The CPT internships are those that are related to your field of study and somehow relate back to your academic credits. This option is for students who have studied at least one year at University. In addition to holding a valid student visa, you must apply for a specific authorization. Upon approval, students will receive an updated I-20 form.

On the other hand, the OPT internships are not necessarily part of a study related program. These internships can be a part of a curriculum or can be pursued after graduation. You will need to attain approval from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

How much do interns in the USA earn? This will of course depend on the industry. According to the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) the average wage rate for a Bachelor degree holder is 16.26 USD (14.29 Euros) per hour.

If you are looking for an internship in the USA, the following resources will be of great value: USA Internships, Placement International, and Internship USA.

Working in The USA

Students with an F-1 visa can get a part-time job in the US working on campus during their first year with a limitation of 20 hours per week during term time. After this, international students can request a permit from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to work off-campus. Students with an M-1 visa are not permitted to work.

Applying for a Student Visa to Study in The USA

In order to study in the USA, you will need a student visa. Depending on the type of program and school you want to attend, you may have to apply for an F visa or an M visa. The F visa is for students who wish to study at a University of College, while the M visa is for students that plan to attend a vocational institution or other recognized non-academic institution.

Application procedures may vary from country to country, so we recommend you get in touch with the US Embassy or Consulate in your home country and request the most up-to-date procedure and requirements that match your situation.