Studying in Holland

  • Population: 17,000,000
  • Currency: Euro (EUR)
  • University Students: 300 ,000
  • International Students: 122,000 (40%)
  • English-taught Programs: 2,100

The Kingdom of the Netherlands, often referred to as Holland is a small country in the northwest of Europe. The fact that around 95% of the Dutch population speak English, makes it an easy-going destination for international students.

Holland is considered one of the safest places in the world and ranks in the top 10 happiest countries too.

Universities in Holland

Holland has several high-ranking Universities. These include:

  • Delft University of Technology
  • Wageningen University & Research
  • University of Amsterdam
  • Leiden University
  • Erasmus University Rotterdam
  • University of Groningen
  • Maastricht University
  • Tilburg University

Business Schools in Holland

There are also numerous Business Schools in the Netherlands, including:

  • Arnhem Business School
  • Energy Delta Institute
  • Erasmus Research Institute of Management
  • Institute of Management and Economics
  • International Business School Groningen
  • Maastricht School of Management
  • Master of Corporate Communication
  • Nyenrode Business University
  • Rotterdam Business School
  • Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University
  • THNK School of Creative Leadership
  • TIAS School for Business and Society
  • Via Vinci Academy
  • Windesheim Honours College
  • Wittenborg University

Study in English in Holland

There are numerous Universities in Holland that offer programs taught entirely in English. As of 2019, there are just over 2,100 programs at Bachelor, Master and PhD level that follow teaching in English.

American Universities in Spain

Webster University is the only American University in Holland. This is a private US accredited University which allows students to pursue a Bachelor or Master Program in English.

Tuition Fees in Holland

Tuition fees are quite reasonable in Holland. Students from the European Union, Switzerland or Surinam pay just over 2,000 EUR per academic year. Non-EU students pay between 6,000 EUR and 15,000 EUR per year for a Bachelor program or 8,000 EUR to 20,000 EUR per year for a Master program. Exact tuition fees for a specific program can be found on the official website

Scholarships to Study in Holland

Finding a scholarship to study in Holland is made easy by a government initiative that lists dozens of updated scholarship and grant opportunities on their website.

Costs of Living in Holland

The cost of living in Holland averages between 600 – 800 EUR per month. Add to that around 200 EUR per month for tuition fees and you have an average budget of 800 – 1,000 EUR per month to cover all your expenses. A room costs anywhere between 300 – 600 EUR per month. Groceries just under 200 EUR and clothes or entertainment are covered by around 100 EUR per month.

Internships & Company Placements in Holland

An internship in the Netherlands is known as a “stage”. Internships in the Netherlands are only permitted for applicants enrolled at an education institution as a student. Most schools and Universities assist students with placements at companies in Holland.

Take note that there are differences in work permit, internship remuneration and social security deductions that will depend on if you are pursuing an internship as part of a study program or study abroad program.

If you are applying for an internship as part of a study program in Holland, you will already be a resident in Holland, so there is no need for any additional permit. There are also no limits on payment, but you will be required to pay tax and your employer must include social security contributions, unless the payment is only a compensation for say travel expenses.

If you are a participating in a study abroad program, you can still do an internship in Holland, but you must take note of certain specifics: Unless you are an EU/EEC or Swiss national, and your internship will be 90 days or less then your employer will be required to apply for a work permit on your behalf. If your internship will last more than 90 days, you might need a residence permit. If your stay in Holland is less than 6 months and you are spending at least 50% of that time on the internship, then you can be paid tax-free. Those staying longer than 90 days will usually have part of their salary deducted as tax.

For more interesting tips and advice on regulations regarding internships in Holland, please visit the Work placement company and interns section on the Netherlands Enterprise Agency website.

Working in Holland

International students in Holland are legally entitled to work while they study in the country. Non-EU or non-EEA student will require a work permit. An employer can request this on your behalf. This will entitle you to work 10 hours a week during the academic year; during June, July and August you will be allowed to work full-time.

Applying for a Student Visa to Study in Holland

Whether you need a student visa or not to study in Holland depends on your native country. For EU residents and citizens from Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, South Korea, the US or the Vatican City State, there is no need for a student visa. Other nationals are required to apply for a student visa.

For students from Andorra, Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Brunei, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Israel, Malaysia, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, San Marino, Singapore, Uruguay, and Venezuela a student visa is required for stays of 90 days or more.

The process starts with an application for a ‘provisional residence permit’ (machtiging tot voorlopig verblijf, MVV). The University or higher education institution where you plan to study will request advice from the Dutch Immigration Service (IND) with regards to your MVV application. If the advice is positive, then you can apply for the actual MVV at the Dutch Embassy or Consulate in your home country.

Upon arrival to the Netherlands, students are expected to register at the local immigration authority office as well as the municipality where they plan to reside. A legalized and translated birth certificate will be required. Finally, a student must then apply for a residence permit (VRR). Although the VRR is valid for the duration of your studies, you will need to earn at least 50% of the credits required per academic year.

In order to apply for a student visa, you will need a valid passport as well as proof of funds to show that you can support yourself during your stay. A letter confirming acceptance at an institution of higher education and valid health insurance will also be required.

We also advise prospective students to check the specific criteria that applies to them via this official website.