- Population: 2,000,000
- Currency: Euro (EUR)
- University Students: 73,000
- International Students: 8,000 (11%)
- English-taught Programs: 282
Latvia is a small country located in Northern Europe. This is a country with stunning nature, many lakes and a multicultural culture. Many Latvians speak English, making it an easy country to settle in.
Universities in Latvia
There are 60 Universities and Colleges in Latvia, and several Universities in Latvia feature in worldwide rankings.
- University of Latvia
- Riga Technical University
- RISEBA University of Business, Arts and Technology
- Stockholm School of Economics in Riga
- Transport and Telecommunication Institute Turība University
- Turība University
- University College of Economics and Culture
- University of Latvia
- Ventspils University College
Business Schools in Latvia
- Riga Business School
- BA School of Business and Finance
Study in English in Latvia
There are a variety of Universities in Latvia that offer programs taught entirely in English. According to the official website StudyInLativa.lv, there are nearly 300 programs taught in English. Turiba University, for example, offers 14 different programs in English, including:
- Bachelor programme in Tourism and Hospitality Management
- Bachelor programme in Business Administration
- Bachelor programme in Management of International Communication
- Bachelor programme in Business Logistics Management
- Bachelor programme in International Finance Management
- Bachelor programme in Computer Systems
- MBA- Tourism Strategic Management
- Executive MBA in Tourism Strategic Management
- Master programme in Business Administration
- Master programme in Business Psychology and HRM in Entrepreneurship
- Doctoral programme in Communication Management
- Doctoral programme in Law Science
- Joint Doctoral programme in Law Science
- Doctoral programme in Business Administration
Tuition Fees in Latvia
Tuition fees in Latvia are relatively low; an average undergraduate program is going to cost 2,000 – 5,000 EUR per year while a Master degree may be around 1,700 EUR per month for EU citizens and 3,700 EUR for non-EU students. Medical studies may cost between 7,000 – 15,000 EUR per year.
Scholarships to Study in Latvia
The most popular scholarships to study in Latvia are from the Latvian government. These government scholarships provide financial aid to students: 500 Euros per month for Bachelor and Master students and 670 Euros per month for PhD students. This financial provision can be used for tuition fees or accommodation and lodging.
Who is eligible for a Latvian government scholarship? All citizens from Azerbaijan, Belgium, Bulgaria, China, Croatia, Cyprus, Finland, France, Georgia, Israel, Italy, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Mexico, Moldova, Mongolia, Peru, South Korea, Spain, Tajikistan, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Ukraine and Uzbekistan.
Costs of Living in Latvia
The cost of living in Latvia is relatively cheap, with official budgets suggesting that 400 – 700 EUR per month are enough to cover accommodation, food, utilities and transportation. A shared apartment can cost around 100 – 200 EUR per month, while an apartment on your own can be found for 250 – 350 EUR per month.
Internships & Company Placements in Latvia
Many Universities in Latvia offering internships as part of their study programs. As an international student in Latvia, one is permitted to work part time up to 20 hours per week. A typical internship in Latvia can last anything from 4 weeks up to 12 months.
Working in Latvia
As a Bachelor student in Latvia, you can work up to 20 hours per week while studying. During the holidays you can work full-time, i.e. 40 hours per week. Master and PhD students are permitted to work full-time.
Applying for a Student Visa to Study in Latvia
Before entering Latvia, an international student who is not from the European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA) must hold a valid residence permit. This permit can be applied for upon official enrollment at a University in Latvia. Students from the EU or EEA do not require a student visa.
In order to apply for residence permit to enter and study in Latvia, you will be required to provide proof of: valid travel reservations, a duly completed application form from the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs (OCMA), confirmation of enrolment at an educational institution in Latvia, valid health insurance for the duration of your stay and proof of funds (currently a minimum of 430 Euros per month). A typical application takes around 8 weeks, so international students are advised to apply early.